Monday, March 12, 2007

Culture Shock: Sabah

Years back, a foreigner friend stayed over my place and wanted to take a dump. I directed him to the toilet but less than a minute later he was out! Both of us were totally shocked; cause he doesn't know how to use that particular toilet; and me cause i've never imagined someone who has never seen a squat toilet in their life! That was my first lesson on culture shock.

Boasting the highest mountain and best islands in Malaysia, Sabah is an essential contributor to the nation's tourism industry. My recent visit was my third and this time round i took the time to see the few difference that only this land below the wind has to offer.

1. They love their seafood. You can get freash seafood literally everywhere. Even in bus stops.


2. Gardenia is not only a breadmaker here. They produce soft drinks as well. Apparently the founder of Gardenia is a local.

3. Black plastic bags are widely used here. Its not limited to pirated DVDs/ Software traders.

4. Obviously, it's a safe heaven for terrorists.


5. They play pool in properly ventilated shoplots. Air cond is not needed.


I love this state. I shall return for more.

No comments: