Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Redang - A bleak picture


My last and only previous visit to Redang was back in 2001. Naturally am quite eager to return to this island and see has it been destroyed by us humans.

There’s vast difference from my trip in 01 and 07. Firstly, back in 01 it a trip with a thousand close hometown friends, drinking imported liquor was a luxury and our staple was maggi mee. Now, since I have a few million bucks stash away in an offshore account (I wish), food is something I can complain about.

Redang has changed quite a bit since then. Picture this.... an island escapade far away from the noise of the city, white sandy beaches with clear blue water, not a single human being within sight. Unfortunately I have to burst your bubble; that’s not what I experienced.

Yes, the beach is still beautiful – picture perfect! At any one time you can see at least 50 people within your sight. You should expect shouts from kids or teenagers during a beach volleyball game, but prepare for post-dinner karaoke sessions – in the open! Phew..at least the karaoke ends at 10pm…. But it’s then converted into a beachside disco!! Holy cow… I did not join any snorkeling trip organized by the resort, but what my friend W told me is that basically he sees more human than fishes in the water! Good for those who seeks cheap thrills underwater – bikinis anyone? ;)

The more popular the island gets, tourists will flock there. Redang is trying very hard to maintain its status as one of Malaysia’s best. It is still a beautiful island as of now. The mushrooming chalets with architecture like a public school definitely do not help its course. Dead coral’ washing up ashore is an indication the threat humans post to these underwater beauties.

No comments: