Friday, January 26, 2007

Jude

Too often than not, movie goers would like happy love stories where couples live happily ever after. It’s a propaganda embedded into our brains ever since we’re old enough to understand fairy tales.

As a cynic, this is what I see as the truth; let’s take for example arguably the most pirated-merchandised-love-story ever – Titanic. As we know, Jack and Rose were madly in love but tragically Jack was frozen to death. With that, Rose’s love for him is forever in her memory. It is the true definition of “till death do us part”.


What if Jack would have survived? Emm…. Of course they will be elated and have many more sex after that and subsequently get married and have kids….BUT, one year later you’ll probably see Rose sobbing away because Jack has not been home for a month cause he’s busy getting into Rosie’s panties on board of TitAnus (c’mon, Jack’s a smooth talker).


Ok, philosophy aside, I caught a glimpse of the movie Jude couple of weeks ago on VCD (yes, it’s that old) and I have to say this movie is one of my favorite love movies. First time I watch it was more than 10 years ago. Though I remembered it was a good movie, I tend to loose touch on how my feeling then was. Upon watching it again I felt the cold chill again and all I can say is it re-impacted me the same way it did 10 years ago. I do prefer love stories to end tragically but what Jude offered is something tragic beyond the ordinary.

No comments: